Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: New-to-Me Authors I Read in 2013

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
What a year 2013 has been. Now that we're in December, bloggers are recapping their year, listing their favorite books, and with that, their favorite authors. I extremely appreciate all the new authors I discovered this year, whether they've been around since I was five or published their debut novel in March. I'm probably forgetting key ones, but I virtually hug the authors I discovered and loved this year.

Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
They're two separate people, I know, but they worked together to produce one of my favorite 2013 reads, These Broken Stars. I hope they don't mind that I'm treating them like some people treat identical twins, but in my mind, they're a permanent pair oh please stay together

Kasie West
I have no shame in saying that I am lusting after her next book, On the Fence. I read The Distance Between Us and adored it. I read Pivot Point and was enthralled with that (she's such an overachiever with two books in one year). So yes, I'm hooked.

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Another author of one of my favorite 2013 books, The Naturals. FBI, enhanced spy skills, killers, swooning, and creepiness. I never am able to really connect to "darker" books, but her writing achieved it. 

Tamora Pierce
WHY HAVE I NOT READ HER BEFORE? 

Rainbow Rowell
I absolutely loved Fangirl, but still nervous to read Eleanor & Park since some people disliked it and then read Fangirl and loved that one. I don't want to reverse my thinking of her. 

Kristin Cashore
I just finished Graceling and didn't realize how thirsty I was for another captivating fantasy novel until I read it. I'm showing extreme self-control by not diving into the sequels until I finish my other read-a-thon books.

Lauren Miller
She earned a spot on my auto-read (since I'm cheap and don't buy books) list when I read Parallel.

Elizabeth Wein
The beginning of Code Name Verity was slow for me, but she slowly reeled me in and left me broken. I don't think I have the strength to read Rose Under Fire. It taunts me as it sits on my table.

A.C. Gaughen
I'm ashamed I waited so long to read Scarlet when I had a perfectly good copy sitting on my shelf. Although it's probably a good thing since I don't have a long wait to the sequel now. Guys, it's a retelling of Robin Hood with Will Scarlet as a kick-butt girl. Now go and join the fan club. 

Suzanne Young
She wrote a great futuristic society centered around a suicide epidemic that involved feels and tense moments and...well, I want the sequel. 

Bonus: Jessica Brody, Natalie D. Richards, and probably many more

What authors have you discovered? Who do I need to read next? 

42 comments:

  1. Kasie West is so freaking amazing. I didn't realize until today that by the end of this year, she would've have published three novels in 2013. So far they've been so amazing. I love Rainbow Rowell's books and she's an absolutely hilarious sweetheart. I still haven't read any Elizabeth Wein's book yet, but I do own both of them. Just need a little more time because I've heard they're awesome :)

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three? What's the third one that I'm missing? They are...well at least, the first one is. And heartbreaking.

      Delete
  2. You read some great authors this year, Sunny! I liked The Program so much too, and Cashore and Rowell are awesome. I need to get with the program and read Kasie West and These Broken Stars soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do, you do! I want to know what you think.

      Delete
  3. Rainbow Rowell - I need to read anything - SOMETHING by her! I have all her books but haven't read any of them. I will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kasie West really skyrocketed to my fave authors list. Seriously two awesome books in a row, Kasie West? Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she did for most people! Bravo, West, bravo.

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way about Rainbow Rowell. I freaking LOVED Fangirl and don't want to spoil how much I love her by reading Eleanor & Park. I think I'll like it, but some people I know didn't, so I'm scared. The Program looks really good... maybe I'll get to that in 2014!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like we should have a support group for people who've read Fangirl, but trying to build up the nerve to read E&P.

      Delete
  6. It makes me happy to see A.C Gaughen on a couple of lists today :D It's great that she is getting more attention now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only author I've read a book from on your list if Amie Kaufman, and unfortunately I wasn't a fan. I do, however, want to read Code Name Verity. I've been really getting into YA historical fiction this year so hopefully I'll get to it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw no. Well, then you'll like CNV. Just be warned: there's a slow beginning!

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad to see that you loved Graceling Sunny! My copies of the next two books have arrived and I honestly I want to drop everything and dive right in! Let me know if you want to read them together! I also loved Parallel and I can't wait to read anything else that Lauren writes! And Kasie West I think I'm one of the last people to pick up her books! I need to do asap! Brilliant list Sunny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm happy that they arrived. Oh, that would be awesome to read them together. I don't know when I'll be able to get to them (maybe after the read-a-thon...or in January after the holidays?), but that'd be fun! Go, go, go, read West!

      Delete
  9. Kasie West and Rainbow Rowell would definitely have been on my list!! And yay for Suzanne Young! I am such a huge fan of her writing. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read the book she co-wrote: Just Like Fate!

      Delete
  10. Rainbow Rowell may just be the pick of the day! I have Megan Whalen Turner on my list--but I need to read some Tamora Pierce too! Kristin Cashore's books are amazing:) Great list, Sunny!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list as always. :) Jennifer Lynn Barnes made it onto mine, as well. I've seen Rainbow Rowell and Elizabeth Wein on a lot of lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma :) Rowell seems to be very popular today!

      Delete
  12. Kasie West! She seems to be on most lists today. :) This was technically the year I read my first Tamora Pierce book, too. I read one when I was about ten, but I remembered almost nothing about it. I loved the one I read, though and can't believe I waited this long to read it either! :) The only book I've read by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is her Squad books (Which I loved a lot), I need to try more of hers! I haven't read any of the others on your list, I really need to try them! Nice list, Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to read Kasie West and Rainbow Rowell in 2014. Great List.

    My TTT: http://rachaelc94.blogspot.com/2013/12/top-ten-new-to-me-authors-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Code Name Verity is definitely going to be one of my first reads for next year. Kasie West made my list as well. I have read The Distance Between Us but I think On The Fence sounds cute and of course I'm looking forward to Split Second.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes! Kasie West rocked it this year! I've only read her books and These Broken Stars, so I need to get on the ball and read the others. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do! I can't wait to see how you think of them.

      Delete
  16. Ah, I'm glad you liked GRACELING! And of course, TBS is one of my favorites, too. Are you going to do a best of 2013 list overall? Our list goes up on December 31st!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to! That's actually around the date I was looking at, but I'm having such a hard time!

      Delete
  17. I'm ashamed that it took me so long to read Scarlet, too, but I am a fan of Gaughen's for life now. :) And I imagine Amie Kaufman and Meghan Spooner as a matched set, too. These Broken Stars was such a great collaborative effort! Great list, Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YES YES YES to Rainbow Rowell! She's a really good author. :) I don't know a lot of your other picks, but awesome list, Sunny! I'd like to read some of their books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I will be a shameless plug and say, DO IT.

      Delete
  19. I really, really need to read some Rainbow Rowell, Kasie West and Suzanne Young. Their books all look incredible and I hear nothing but great things. Will definitely be getting to them all next year! Great list :) New Bloglovin follower, I adore your blog and your header kind of makes me jealous =P My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see how you like them! Thanks *hugs*

      Delete
  20. I have seen Kasie West on so many TTT's this week. I really do need to check her out! I still haven't read These Broken Stars, but have heard that it is such a terrific pairing, another one I really need to read! Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do! The authors do great with both characters, I enjoyed myself!

      Delete
  21. I still need to read books by Lauren Miller, Jennifer Lynn Barnes, and Suzanne Young, especially after hearing your praise! And it makes me happy to see Elizabeth Wein on your list, since as you know I love her books to death. Here's to a 2014 full of even more new authors!

    ReplyDelete