Thursday, April 25, 2013

Cover Love #12

Hosted by Bookshelvers Anonymous


Title: Dead Ends

Author: Erin Jode Lange

Publication date: September 3, 2013

Publisher: Bloomsbury

Dane Washington is one suspension away from expulsion. In a high school full of “haves,” being a “have not” makes Dane feel like life is hurtling toward one big dead end. Billy D. spends his high school days in Special Ed and he’s not exactly a “have” himself. The biggest thing Billy’s missing? His dad. Billy is sure the riddles his father left in an atlas are really clues to finding him again and through a bizarre turn of events, he talks Dane into joining him on the search. 
A bully and a boy with Down syndrome makes for an unlikely friendship, but together, they work through the clues, leading to unmarked towns and secrets of the past. But they’re all dead ends. Until the final clue . . . and a secret Billy shouldn’t have been keeping. 
As a journalist, Erin Jade Lange is inspired by hot button issues like bullying, but it is her honest characters and breakneck plotting that make Dead Ends a must-read.

Why I love: 

I initially saw this cover a few days (weeks? I have no idea, everything is blurred together) ago and was so intrigued. I then saw it again on Cover Snark and officially knew I had to highlight it in Cover Love. First of all, the colors are great. Secondly, I love the quirkiness of it. A bully and a boy with Down Syndrome working on a mystery sounds very quirky to me and I think this cover represents the synopsis very well. The street, the cartoonish wall, the bright Dead End sign, the boys...I could go on about all the things I love about it.

What are you loving this week? 

9 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this book before, Sunny, but I agree...that is a great cover! I love the illusion of the dead end. Though the story does sound unique, I'm not sure the quirkiness is enough for me, but I can't wait to hear what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this cover on Cover Snark too and totally loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this cover too! It's one of those covers that you have to stop and look at it for a second there's just so much going on. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the big Dead End sign and how they're looking over the painted backdrop! The cover definitely looks as fun and quirky as the synopsis sounds! :)

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only is this cover great, but the story sounds REALLY interesting. Definitely checking this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never actually seen this cover before Sunny, and I agree it is really different to the ones I've seen out there. It's great to seem something which stands out from amongst the rest! Thanks for putting this on my radar! :)

    ReplyDelete