Friday, November 2, 2012

YA lovin' had me a blast!



Excuse the cheesy title, I couldn't resist. Do you see this picture above? How can you NOT? That's 50 SIGNED books. 50! No, the decimal point is not in the wrong spot. I'm having heart palpitations as I'm typing. There's some cool-looking books I've never heard about, books I have heard about, and books I've read and loved. So this contest? Huge deal. If you need help with the idea of huge, think of Ikea. 

Although this post is to hype up the this contest (which probably doesn't even need hyping up), it's mostly about the love of YA books. This blog, all the blogs I enjoy, and basically a lot of swoon-tastic books wouldn't be in existence if it wasn't for YA. 

I love lists. So here's a short list (definitely not the bigger, full version) of books that make me love YA. 

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I think most of the population has read or at least read this series. If you haven't, go do it now. After you finish reading this post, but then right after! Tough girl lives in a dystopian world where 24 kids kill each other until only one survives. Sound horrible? Kind of is. But, wait! That's not all, folks. There is a love triangle, heartbreaking moments, throw-your-hand-up-in-the-air-in-triumph moments, a little sister named Prim, archery, and just overall awesomeness. 

Although definitely YA, people from the young to the old to the females to the males love this book. Thank you, Suzanne Collins, for raising the YA bar higher. 

The Gallagher Girls by Ally Carter
For as long as I can remember, I've always imagined being a spy. When I was younger, my neighbor and I would play a game called "spies" EVERYWHERE. And I mean everywhere. So when I heard about this fantastic series, I dove in. Great YA series. You meet a boarding school of (undercover) girl spies who at first run into only trouble with a normal boy but then later with national security and death threats. The latest book had me shocked and just...well, you'll have to read it. I haven't read any other kind of book in middle grade or adult that's like this. 

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
A girl cyborg retelling of Cinderella. Isn't that enough? I feel like I overuse "love" so I guess I'll just say that I adored this book. I'm a huge fan on fairy-tale retellings. This was top-notch. I enter in every giveaway I see that offers this book. One day...

Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

I've heard some people actually don't like this series, while some (like me) really enjoyed them. Mia can be annoying since she ends up being a doormat with her grandmother and others and she panics a lot. However, I panic a lot too so it was nice for a change. And how can you not love Michael? He makes me sigh every time. But this YA book is about a princess who just discovered she was a princess while juggling her regular life and you hear all her thoughts in her diary. Ten books in all and stick with them because the last one was my favorite!

I know I'm forgetting some major ones, I just know it. However, I did say it was going to be a short list. Now do a quick glance at it again. Have you seen books like these in adult fiction or middle school? I'm not trying to bash the others, but YA rocks, you guys. To me, there is so much potential in this part of fiction. 

It feels like characters in YA are much more connectable. Of course, that might be because I'm in the same age bracket as them, just as it is with adults and adult fiction. I have read adult books before and there's a couple series that would make my absolute favorite series of all-time. Seriously, there are great books in that world of fiction. But YA introduces me to characters who do or experience amazing things and are like me. They also are (usually) going into that stage in life where they find love. Like I said, so much potential.

Can I just say that I really, really love YA? Honestly, this world would be a sadder place without it. Imagine no YA blogs with amazing writers and memes. Imagine the authors you love who make you laugh and cry and swoon. Imagine no Meg Cabot, Marissa Meyer, Veronica Rossi, Scott Westerfeld, Sarah Dessen, Rae Carson, Elizabeth Wein, Robin LaFevers, or any other YA author you love. 
My point? I am a die-hard fan of YA fiction. No shame and all love. 

What are some of the things that make you love YA? 

2 comments:

  1. I love the Gallagher Girls and the Princess Diaries series! :)

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in agony that the 6th book in the GG series isn't even close to coming out :) Thanks for coming by!

      Delete